Spicy Millet Salad with Snowpeas
- Yield 6 servings
This salad is loaded with healthy millet and tossed with a spicy oriental dressing.
- Oriental Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons Chinese chili paste**
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Millet Salad:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry millet
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out and cucumber sliced diagonally
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 3 celery ribs, sliced diagonally
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed, optional
- Black sesame seeds**, for garnish, optional
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive container such as a 1-gallon zip-seal bag. Set aside.
- To make salad: Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add millet, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until the grains are tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil. Add snow peas and cook 1 minute. Or, microwave in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2 inch of water, covered, for 1 minute on high power. Rinse under cold water.
- Toss all vegetables, cooked millet, beans, if using, and dressing together (or add to zip-seal bag, seal and toss). Serve warm or chilled, garnished with black sesame seeds, if desired.