Corn Muffins with Irish Cheddar
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/4cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1large egg
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2cups grated aged Irish Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1cup fresh corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 425F. Butter 12 standard muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and butter in a separate bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in 1 cup cheese and corn kernels.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until golden and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from the tins and cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
—Recipe by David Bonom.