- 1/2pound dry noodles (any shape or long ones will do)
- 1tablespoon Asian sesame or hot chili oil
- 1medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1large carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1cup green cabbage, sliced
- 1/2ounce Chinese dried mushrooms, reconstituted*
- 1tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2quarts water or vegetable broth
- 1tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1 lime) or rice vinegar
- 8 scallions, minced
- Cook noodles in a pot of boiling salted water 5 to 6 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. If you are using long noodles, cut into 2-inch lengths to make eating easier.
- In a large saucepot, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add all the vegetables, including the reconstituted mushrooms as well as the gingerroot and garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add water or broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add soy sauce, sugar and lime juice or rice vinegar, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add cooked noodles and scallions. Serve. Or cool to room temperature and chill or freeze for later consumption; reheat before serving.
*To reconstitute dried mushrooms: Soak in a bowl of warm water to cover for 20 minutes or until softened. Squeeze the excess moisture from the mushrooms, remove and discard the stems; slice caps thinly.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 300
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 292mg
- Carbohydrate 56g
- Protein 9g