Spicy Grapefruit Salad
- Yield 8 servings
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (about 16 cups)
- 1/2 medium jicama, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
- 2 teaspoons toasted poppy seeds
- To prepare the dressing: Combine all ingredients until creamy.
- To prepare the salad: Mix spinach, jicama and onion.
- With a sharp knife, section grapefruit while working over a small bowl to catch the juice. Reserve juice for dressing. Cut the grapefruit segments and add to salad mixture. Toss and chill.
- Drizzle dressing over salad mixture and toss.
- Arrange on salad plates and garnish with toasted poppyseeds.
Recipe courtesy of TexaSweet