Spicy Fruits and Walnut Popcorn
- Yield 11 cups
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Spicy, crunchy, sweet, and salty, this filling and nutritious snack or party food can be made ahead of time.
Stir well before serving so the nuts and raisins don't get lost in the bottom of the bowl!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoon kosher salt (use the lesser amount if using lightly salted microwave popcorn)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 9 cups freshly popped unsalted popcorn
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or no-stick aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cayenne, cumin, curry, salt, and pepper; whisk until very well combined. Add the walnuts and toss well to coat completely. Add the popcorn and toss until the popcorn is well-speckled with the spice mixture — you will still see a lot of the white, but that's fine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tray and spread it out over the entire sheet. Bake until the coating is dry and both nuts and popcorn are crisp, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Add raisins and mix well.
- Can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Recipe courtesy of Tina Salter.