Spicy Fish Cakes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-- celery rib, coarse-chopped
- 1/2-- onion, coarse-chopped
- 1/2-- green pepper, coarse-chopped
- 3-- sole fillets, around 5 oz each, coarse chopped
- 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon Old Bay
- 1-- egg, beaten
- 1cup leftover mashed potatoes or loose hashbrowns
- 3/4cup dry bread/cracker crumbs
- 2cups vegetable oil
- to taste-- tartar sauce or soy vinegar
- Place chopped vegetables in a food processor; pulse to finely chop. Add the fillets; pulse to coarsely chop. Stir in salt, pepper, mustard, pepper flakes, thyme and seafood seasoning; pulse 2 to 3 times until mixed. Transfer to large bowl; stir in the egg, stir lightly to combine. Fold in the potatoes.
- Form into 8 patties and lightly coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high; add the cakes. Cook until lightly browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn; cook until browned and cakes are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Serve with tartar sauce or sprinkled with vinegar.