Spicy Cucumber and Red Onion Salad
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Sweet and salty accompaniment for Asian foods.
- 2 English (hothouse) cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 to 2 Thai chiles, stemmed, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- In a large sieve set over a bowl, toss cucumber with salt and drain for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together rice vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag. Add drained cucumbers, onion and chiles. Squeezing out air, seal bag; shake to coat pieces evenly. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Reprinted with permission from Corinne Trang’s The Asian Grill (Chronicle Books, 2006).