Spicy Cilantro Flank Steak
- Yield 6 servings
You may use individual steaks.
- Flank steak:
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup medium-dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) flank stead
- sprig of cilantro for garnish
- Cilantro sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro, chopped
- 4 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
To prepare the steak:
- Mix the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a shallow dish until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the steak to the soy sauce mixture and turn to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Lightly coat the grill rack with oil and preheat the grill.
- Let the steak stand in the marinade at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Grill to the desired degree of doneness. Slice as desired and arrange on a platter.
- Garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
To prepare the sauce:
- Combine the cilantro, soy sauce, oil, lime juice, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve with the steak.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., California Mosaic, A Cookbook Celebrating Cultures and Cuisine (The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc. 2008)