Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burgers
- Yield: 4 servings
Top these burgers with Cheddar cheese and watercress
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2pounds ground turkey (light and dark meat, 7% fat)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4teaspoons cayenne (optional)
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Place turkey, garlic, chipotle, oregano, mustard, chili powder, cumin and cayenne, if using, in a bowl. Using your hands, mix until ingredients are evenly incorporated. Divide mixture into 4 balls of equal size. Form each into a patty 3/4- to 1-inch think. Handle as little as possible.
- Prepare a grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate with oil.
- Sprinkle both sides of burgers with salt and pepper. Place on grate and grill until well seared on both sides, about 5 minutes for medium-rare or 6 minutes for medium.
- If cooking indoors, place a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add burgers to dry pan. Cook until well seared on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare or 10 to 12 minutes for medium.
Nutritional analysis without bun and topping. Recipe adapted with permission from Recipe of the Week: Burgers by Sally Sampson (Wiley, 2008)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 170
- Fat 8g
- Sodium 860mg
- Carbohydrate 2g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 22g