Spicy Chili Bowl
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Bread Bowl & Paddles Ingredients
- 1-- (16 oz.) loaf King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread
- 1-1/2cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- -- Olive oil
- Spicy Chili Ingredients
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1pound Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 1-- (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1-- (15 oz.) can cannellini (white) beans, drained
- 1-- (19 oz.) can chili no beans
- 1cup prepared chunky salsa
- -- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- -- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
Preparation for Bread Bowl & Paddles
- 1 Carve out center core of bread within 1-inch of bottom and sides keeping bread intact.
- Cut reserved bread horizontally into 1/2-inch layers.
- Brush both sides of layers with olive oil. Cut layers into about 18'paddles' that measure about 3×1 1/2×1/2-inches.
- Place paddles on foil-lined baking sheet; sprinkle with cheese.
- Brush inside of bowl lightly with olive oil. Place bowl on separate baking sheet.
- Bake bowl and paddles in a preheated 350F oven for 11-13 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
Preparation for Spicy Chili
- Heat oil over medium heat in 3 qt. saucepan. Add sausage and brown.
- Add next 4 ingredients, cook until hot.
- Pour into prepared bread bowl. Garnish with onions and cheese.
- Place paddles around bowl. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 1200
- Glycemic Load 3.19
- Fat 44g
- Saturated Fat 16g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 170mg
- Sodium 2920mg
- Potassium 1560mg
- Carbohydrate 136g
- Fiber 21g
- Sugars 25g
- Protein 66g
- Trans Fat 1.5g
- Vitamin A 45%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 60%
- Iron 60%