Spicy Chicken Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2cups finely chopped onions
- 2tablespoons finely chopped, peeled fresh ginger
- 2tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1cup chopped, seeded, peeled fresh tomatoes or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1tablespoon ground coriander
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (12-ounce) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 12ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro, without stems
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Do not brown garlic.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add spices and cook until very fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in sweet potato and simmer for about 4 minutes. Add chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro.
Recipe by Cheryl Forberg
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 140
- Fat 2.5g
- Sodium 410mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 12g