Spicy Chicken and Pasta Soup
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"We have lived miles from any grocery store most of my life. I would want to fix a recipe only to discover that my pantry lacked some of the essential ingredients. I created this soup on a frosty winter evening from what I had in the pantry and refrigerator."
- 1 skinless, bone-in chicken breast
- 1/4teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 to 8cups water, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes and green chiles, divided
- 1medium carrot, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1/2cups small shell pasta
- Combine chicken, basil, salt, garlic clove and 4 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove chicken to cool.
- Add half the tomatoes and chiles along with carrot, celery, pasta and 2 to 4 more cups of water. Taste for seasonings. If more heat is desired, add remaining tomatoes and green chiles. Simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove chicken from bone and chop into 1/2-inch chunks. Return to soup and heat through. Serve with grated Colby-Jack cheese and warm flour tortillas or tortilla chips.
Recipe by Sonya Barron, Hamilton, Texas