- Yield 4 servings
"I enjoy making this recipe for spicy chicken sauce which I originally got from my mother-in-law. The seasonings give it just the right taste!"
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- Combine first seven ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion, peppers and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until peppers are crisp/tender. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.
- Saute chicken in remaining tablespoon of oil until just cooked (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). Stir ketchup mixture in with the cooked chicken.
- Cook until sauce is bubbly. Add sauteed vegetables and stir until they are coated with sauce.
- Garnish with peanuts.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This dish is delicious served over rice. Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a hot and spicy kick.
Recipe by Kenneth Zura, Sugar Run, Pa.