Spicy Cheese Wafers
- Yield 24 to 36 pieces
Hard to stop eating these Southern snacks.
The key to this recipe is allowing the cheese to reach room temperature and mixing the ingredients well. If the hot pepper is not scattered throughout, one bite can be akin to swallowing a drop of hot sauce. Otherwise, preparation compares favorably to slice-and-bake cookies.
- 1/4 pound Old English cheese or extra sharp cheese
- 1 stick butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Allow the cheese and butter to warm to room temperature. When both are very soft, mix together with a high-speed hand mixer. Stir flour and pepper together and add to cheese mixture, making certain it is well blended. Fold in chopped nuts. Roll dough into a log about 1 1/2-inch diameter and chill 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Slice log into thin wafers and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned.
Recipe by Mary A. Mitchell.