Spicy Black-eyed Peas
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 3slices bacon
- 1-- (17-ounce) can black eyed peas
- 1-- (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/8teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon ground or dry mustard
- 1/2teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- -- Parsley, finely chopped
- Cook bacon until crisp in large skillet and crumble into small pieces.
- Stir the crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients into bacon grease.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Columbus’ A Southern Collection Then and Now (The Junior League of Columbus, Georgia, Inc., 1994).