Spicy Black-eyed Peas
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A perfect side dish to any southern-cooked meal.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 -- (17-ounce) can black eyed peas
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground or dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- -- Parsley, finely chopped
- Cook bacon until crisp in large skillet and crumble into small pieces.
- Stir the crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients into bacon grease.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Columbus’ A Southern Collection Then and Now (The Junior League of Columbus, Georgia, Inc., 1994).