Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Pile this protein-packed salad on a bed of greens or fold it into flour tortillas and you’ve got an easy entrée.
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in large bowl. Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl. Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado. Toss black-eyed pea mixture with Szechuan sauce dressing.
From: Everything Vegan; Wiley 2010; reprinted with permission from the publisher.