Spicy Black Bean and Polenta Pie
- Yield 4 servings
For an easy Tex-Mex main dish, combine polenta with beans, Monterey Jack cheese, chili powder and jalapeno.
When making polenta, add the cornmeal very slowly to the boiling liquid to prevent lumps. You also must stir the simmering mass constantly to prevent scorching. Use a long-handled wooden spoon as the simmering mixture resembles golden lava -- a churning mass of bubbles that can burn you.
- 3 cups water or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh (1 ear) or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a simmer. Slowly pour the cornmeal into the water, stirring constantly. Continuing to stir the cornmeal, add the jalapeno, garlic, oregano and chili powder; simmer the mixture 10 minutes or until the mixture is extremely thick and difficult to stir. Add the corn kernels, black beans, cilantro and salt.
- Lightly brush a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil. Pour mixture into plate and top with cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until pie is golden on top and heated through.