Spicy Black Bean and Polenta Pie
- Yield: 4 servings
When making polenta, add the cornmeal very slowly to the boiling liquid to prevent lumps. You also must stir the simmering mass constantly to prevent scorching. Use a long-handled wooden spoon as the simmering mixture resembles golden lava -- a churning mass of bubbles that can burn you.
- 3cups water or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4teaspoon oregano
- 1/4teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2cup fresh (1 ear) or frozen corn kernels
- 1cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1tablespoon minced cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a simmer. Slowly pour the cornmeal into the water, stirring constantly. Continuing to stir the cornmeal, add the jalapeno, garlic, oregano and chili powder; simmer the mixture 10 minutes or until the mixture is extremely thick and difficult to stir. Add the corn kernels, black beans, cilantro and salt.
- Lightly brush a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil. Pour mixture into plate and top with cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until pie is golden on top and heated through.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 245
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 95mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Protein 8g