Spicy Beef, Pork and Olive Meatballs
- Yield 6 servings
Ground beef and pork and black olives combine in this kid-friendly meatball dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup sliced California Black Ripe Olives
- 1 1/4 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
- Kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan. Add onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and oregano and continue cooking for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Mix in olives and set aside to cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled olive mixture with beef, pork, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Stir in eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper flakes. Form into a dozen 3-inch meatballs and set aside on a clean plate.
- Heat remaining oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium high heat. Place each meatball into pan and brown for 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally until evenly seared. Pour marinara sauce over the top and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until heated through.
Recipe courtesy of the California Olive Committee