Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
"I came up with this recipe after an autumn trip to the North Carolina state farmers' market where sweet potatoes were available for pennies a pound. The flavors are simple enough for every day, but it's also elegant enough to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner."
- Creme Fraiche:
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 1/4cup pure maple syrup
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1medium yellow onion, diced
- 2pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 10whole cloves
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4cups chicken broth
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4cup toasted walnuts
- To prepare the creme fraiche, whisk together sour cream, heavy cream and maple syrup. Let stand at room temperature.
- To prepare the soup, heat olive oil in a large pot; add onion. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Puree sweet potatoes mixture in a blender until very smooth. Add reserved liquid as needed to achieve desired consistency. Return to pan and cook until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into large soup bowls. Garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche and sprinkle of walnuts.
—Sam McDaniel, Cary, N.C .