Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
A creamy soup, spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for fall flavor
"I came up with this recipe after an autumn trip to the North Carolina state farmers' market where sweet potatoes were available for pennies a pound. The flavors are simple enough for every day, but it's also elegant enough to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner."
- Creme Fraiche:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- To prepare the creme fraiche, whisk together sour cream, heavy cream and maple syrup. Let stand at room temperature.
- To prepare the soup, heat olive oil in a large pot; add onion. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Puree sweet potatoes mixture in a blender until very smooth. Add reserved liquid as needed to achieve desired consistency. Return to pan and cook until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into large soup bowls. Garnish with a swirl of creme fraiche and sprinkle of walnuts.
—Sam McDaniel, Cary, N.C .