Spiced Steamed Shrimp
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Perfectly seasoned shrimp served with a delicious simple cocktail sauce.
- Spiced Steamed Shrimp
- 6 -- (12-ounce) can beer
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 small lemon, cut into halves
- 10 pounds fresh shrimp (12 pounds with heads on)
- 1 cup Old Bay seasoning
- Simple Cocktail Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon grated horseradish
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- To prepare the shrimp: Pour the beer and vinegar into a large stockpot. Add the kosher salt and lemon halves. Bring to a rolling boil. Place a steamer rack in the stockpot. Cover the rack with a layer of shrimp and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Repeat the layers until all the shrimp and seasoning is used. Steam, tightly covered, for 10 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Remove the shrimp to cool
- To prepared the cocktail sauce: Combine the ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well. Chill until serving time. Adjust the heat by adding more or less horseradish. Another option is to serve extra horseradish on the side.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wilmington’s Seaboard to Sideboard Entertains (the Junior League of Wilmington, North Carolina, 2011).