Spiced Rum Old Fashioned
- Yield 2 servings
Infuse your favorite aged rum with island spices for a creative twist on a classic cocktail.
The classic Old Fashioned is a simple and easily customizable cocktail base: spirit, sugar, bitters and a garnish. That’s it. For this take, we quickly infuse aged rum with fragrant island spices and orange to achieve a unique and warming cold-weather drink. — Eric Prum and and Josh Williams
- 4 shots aged rum
- 2 cubes cane sugar
- 10 dashes aromatic bitters
- 2 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon (plus 2 to garnish)
- 2 strips orange zest (plus 2 to garnish)
- Add cane sugar cubes and aromatic bitters to shaker.
- Muddle ingredients in shaker until sugar has mostly dissolved.
- Add aged rum, cloves, cinnamon and orange zest to the shaker. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Let sit for 30 seconds.
- Add ice to above the level of the liquid and stir for 10 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into rocks glasses containing large cubes of ice and garnish with remaining cinnamon and orange zest.
Note: 1 shot=1.5 ounces
Recipe reprinted with permission from Shake: A New Perspective on Cocktails (2013).