Spiced Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese
- Yield 12 to 16 servings
"I've been making pumpkin rolls for about 10 years. I started with one for Christmas Eve dinner. Now I make three for dinners, one for a birthday gift and three for gifts. I wouldn't be surprised if that number changes again this year!"
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan and line the bottom with wax paper.
- To prepare the cake, place the eggs in large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs for 5 minutes with a mixer a medium speed. Add the granulated sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice; beat until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices; add to the egg mixture; mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched and a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Unroll a clean dish towel on the counter and put a piece of wax paper on top. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Immediately loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto the wax paper-lined towel. Starting at the long edge, roll up into a small roll. Place in the refrigerator until cool.
- To prepare the filling, combine the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, butter, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
- To assemble, gently unroll the cake and spread the filling on the cake. Roll again, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving time.
Recipe by Kenny Hoefle, Jr., McAdenville, N.C.