Spiced Plank-Grilled Salmon
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
We dare you to walk the plank this summer and roast salmon using this traditional and fun grilling technique.
Plank roast the fish the Northwest way using cedar or alder planks on your outdoor grill. You can find planks at kitchen stores and some supermarkets. This recipe is adapted from The Sustainable Kitchen: Passionate Cooking Inspired by Farms, Forests and Oceans by Stu Stein, Mary Hinds and Judith Dern.
- Spice rub:
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cedar or alder grilling plank, soaked for 1 hour
- 4 salmon fillets
- Preheat the grill.
- To prepare the spice rub, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture over top of salmon. Place salmon skin side down on plank. Place plank on grill. Cook, covered, until salmon flakes with a fork, about 10 minutes.
VARIATION: For plain plank-grilled salmon, rub the salmon with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and grill.
Recipe by Judith Dern