Spiced Flaxseed, Banana and Carrot Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
These earthy, island-spiced muffins cry out for a cream cheese frosting,
Use a coffee grinder to grind the golden or brown flaxseeds.
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 carrot, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine the flaxseeds, flours, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, pepper, brown sugar and cranberries or raisins in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a spatula or spoon, just until combined.
- Spray 12 standard-size muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray or line with paper cups. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups and bake in the center of the oven 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.