Spiced Cranberry Wine Sauce
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2cups zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
- 3/4cup sugar
- 5 (2-inch) orange rind strips
- 1/2cup fresh orange juice
- 6whole cloves
- 4slices peeled fresh ginger
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 3cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- Combine all ingredients except cranberries in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken and sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, and discard the solids. Return mixture to pan.
- Add cranberries and cook over high heat 10 minutes or until berries pop. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick.
- Pour into a bowl and let cool. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association