- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2cups cranberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2cups Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 3tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1teaspoon curry powder
- -- large pinch of Chinese five-spice powder
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and fresh ginger; stir until cranberries begin to burst, about 3 minutes.
Add wine and sugar; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Add crystallized ginger, curry powder and five-spice powder. Season with salt and pepper.
Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Serve sauce cold or, if desired, rewarm over low heat, stirring often.