Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Pinot Noir
- Yield servings
Ginger, curry powder and Chinese-five spice powder take cranberry sauce to a whole new level.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cranberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- -- large pinch of Chinese five-spice powder
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and fresh ginger; stir until cranberries begin to burst, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and sugar; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Add crystallized ginger, curry powder and five-spice powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Serve sauce cold or, if desired, rewarm over low heat, stirring often.