Spice-Scented Cranberry Sauce
- Yield 4 cups
Ginger, allspice and cinnamon boost the flavor of this holiday cranberry sauce.
- 1 -- (12-ounce) bad cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- -- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a heavy-bottomed 2-quart pot, and stir to combine. Cover pot and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat (keep a close eye because if it boils over it'll make a mess of your stove—I speak from experience and too much multitasking!).
- Remove lid, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and jam-like, about 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool to room temperature or chill before serving. May be prepared and stored in an air-tight container up to two days in advance.
Recipe by Jennifer Perillo.