Spice Rub with Cocoa, Chili Powder and Espresso
- Yield 4 servings
This spice mix adds a wonderful depth of heat and flavor to meats. It's delicious grilled onto flank steak, but will work equally well on pork tenderloin or beef brisket.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon espressor powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound flank steak
- Olive oil
- Whisk all ingredients, except steak, in a bowl.
- Gently score the surface of a flank steak. Coat the entire surface with olive oil.
- Sprinkle spice rub liberally over both sides of the meat. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to grill. This may be done ahead of time—even overnight—to allow flavors to permeate the meat.
- Grill steak over medium-hot coals until done to the desired degree.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Third Thursday Potluck Club.