Spiced Chicken in Grapefruit Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2pounds boneless skinless chicken split breasts
- 1-- 12 ounce can frozen unsweetened grapefruit juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4cup ground cardamom
- 1/4cup ground cumin
- 1/4cup ground cilantro
- 1/4cup cornstarch
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 4ounces shallot, minced
- 1teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1/2cup freshly squeezed and strained pink grapefruit juice
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1tablespoon grated fresh grapefruit zest
- 1teaspoon dried mustard
- 2tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1cup fresh pink grapefruit, peeled, seeded, and sectioned
- -- Additional fresh tarragon and thyme sprigs for garnish
- -- Additional grapefruit zest for garnish
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Pat chicken dry; then, place chicken in a storage bag with thawed juice concentrate, tossing to coat completely. Seal bag and let chicken sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
Toss together cardamom, cumin, cilantro, and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess juice. Liberally coat both sides of the chicken with the spice mixture. Place chicken in a single layer on a non-stick rimmed baking sheet. Bake chicken in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees without opening door and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
In a large saucepan, heat canola oil and butter until shimmering; add shallot and ginger, sauteing until tender. Sprinkle flour into saucepan and stir until clumped but not browned. Gradually stir in fresh grapefruit juice then chicken broth, cooking until thickened. Stir zest, mustard, tarragon, and thyme into sauce; simmer for 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Add half of the grapefruit sections to the sauce and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Arrange chicken, remaining grapefruit sections, and sauce on a platter. Garnish with herb sprigs and zest.