Spice-Dusted Sweet Potatoes
- Yield 4 servings
Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index value, which mean that eating them won't raise blood glucose levels as high as eating other potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan Ras el Hanout spice mix
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork, and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until potatoes are soft when pressed.
- Halve sweet potatoes by splitting lengthwise and making crisscross cuts in the flesh. Drizzle olive oil evenly over the flesh of the four halves. Sprinkle the Moroccan Ras El Hanout Spice Mix in pepper over each one. Serve hot.
Reprinted with permission from The Mediterranean Diabetes Cookbook: A Flavorful, Low-Fat, Heart-Healthy Approach to Cooking by Amy Riolo. American Diabetes Association, 2010.