Speedy Southwest Pasta Casserole
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
A great family dish that includes all the basics; pasta, meat, sauce and cheese.
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, crushed, with their juices
- 1 (16-ounce) package angel hair (capellini) pasta
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onions, green pepper and garlic over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, until meat is done. Drain any excess grease. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, tomato sauce, and crushed tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix milk and egg together. Combine with pasta and place in a 3-quart oblong baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spread meat mixture on top. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar and bake 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.