Spanokopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds fresh spinach, steamed and drained well (use a towel to wring it out)
- 2cups chopped onion
- 1/4cup minced garlic
- 1teaspoon dried oregano, or 1 T fresh, chopped
- 2teaspoons dried basil, or 1 T fresh, chopped
- 1teaspoon dried dill, or 1 T fresh, chopped
- 1teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4ounces cottage cheese
- 4ounces feta cheese
- 6 sheets filo dough
- Steam and drain spinach well, wringing it through a clean tea towel. Chop well and set aside to cool. Sauté the onion and garlic until onion is very well done and beginning to caramelize. (Use a very small amount of olive oil and put a lid on the pan to “sweat” the onions, or use a low calorie pan spray, utilizing the same process.) Be sure to keep the temperature low so that the onions and garlic do not burn. If there is a lot of liquid in the onion mixture, drain them before proceeding.
- In medium size bowl, combine the spinach, onion and garlic, and all other ingredients except for the eggs. Toss to combine. Beat the eggs separately in a small bowl, just to combine. Stir the eggs into the rest of the mixture and chill for one hour.
- To proceed: fold one sheet of filo dough in half vertically after it has been sprayed lightly with butter spray. Place 1/6 of mixture on the bottom corner (approx. ¾ c.), and fold as you would a flag. Place on sprayed cooking sheet, spray the top of each pie briefly w/ butter spray and bake approximately 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees until crisp and browned on top.
- For appetizer size, fold as above but then cut in quarters, use 1 –2 T. of filling for each and fold as before.
Serves 6 as an entrée, 15-18 as an appetizer
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 170
- Fat 5 g