Spanish Rice with Golden Raisins
- Yield 6-8 servings
Sweet and savory blend perfectly in this tasty side.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or one minced clove
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add rice and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- As soon as mixture reaches boiling point, reduce heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. When rice is tender and liquids are absorbed, it is ready to serve.
- (Add more liquid in 1/4 cup increments if liquid is absorbed too soon and rice begins to stick to the pan.)
Recipe by Anna Victoria Reich, Albuquerque, N.M.