- Yield: 12 servings
- 1/3cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2medium onions, finely chopped
- 1medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2medium celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 2teaspoons garlic powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2 (14-ounce) cans lower-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, salt and 1 can chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining can of broth; mix well. Serves 12.
—Recipe by Mike Pineda, Carlsbad, N.M.