Spanish Potato and Green Olive Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2pounds small potatoes
- 1leaf bay leaf
- 2sprigs fresh thyme
- 6cups water
- 1 1/2cups stuffed green olives, sliced in half vertically
- 1pinch salt
- 1cup cubed Manchego or cheddar cheese
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the onion to a 7-quart slow cooker and add the potatoes, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover and cook on LOW (without the water) for about 4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the water and, using a fork or potato masher, smash the potatoes. If you prefer a smooth texture, you can use an immersion blender to puree them.
- Stir in the olives and add the salt to taste. Continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes longer, until the soup is once again hot.
- To serve, divide the cheese into bowls, drizzle the remaining olive oil over it, then ladle in the soup and stir.
From 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley/Andrews McMeel Publishing