Spanish Eggplant and Date Salad
- Yield 8 servings
The sweet chopped dates combine well with the smoky paprika and spicy black pepper.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprik
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 pitted dried dates, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Combine all ingredients except dates in a large mixing bowl and spread evenly on a baking pan with sides.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is browned and cooked through. Place in a bowl. Add chopped dates and stir to combine. Serve warm or chilled. Makes 4 cups.
Adapted from Lionel Mendoza