Spanish Chicken Stew
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 -- cut-up broiler-fryer chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -- onions, each cut in 8 wedges
- 1 -- sweet red pepper, cut in large chunks
- 2 cups warm chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1/2 pound small whole mushrooms
- 1 -- (15 1/2 ounces) can garbanzo beans *
- 1 -- bay leaf
- In large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high temperature. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Drain off oil and discard. Sprinkle chicken with salt, paprika and pepper. Add onion and red pepper. Pour warm broth over all and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, mushrooms, garbanzo beans and bay leaf. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Serve in individual bowls with large, hard, crusty rolls (in Spain, these rolls are dipped into stew as it is eaten).
* Garbanzo beans are also known as chick peas. In Spain they are dried and soaked overnight before using.