Spaghetti with Roasted Vegetables
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this pasta and vegetable dish with your favorite marinara sauce, topped with freshly grated Parmesan and lemon juice.
- Olive Oil Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine such as chianti, burgundy or merlot, optional
- Roasted Vegetables with Spaghetti:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squashes
- 1 small eggplant with peel
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch wide wedges
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 (3-ounce) bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound dried spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- To make marinade: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive container.
- To make vegetables: Cut the zucchini, squashes and eggplant in half crosswise and then cut each half lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Combine all these vegetable slices in a nonreactive container. Add marinade and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place all vegetables except tomatoes and basil in a nonreactive roasting pan. Roast 20 minutes or until almost tender. Add tomato wedges and roast 5 minutes longer. Add basil and season with salt. Serve vegetables over pasta.