Spaghetti with Calamari
- Yield: 4 servings
If fresh calamari is not available, use ultra-convenient frozen calamari rings instead.
- 2teaspoons bottled crushed garlic, or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16ounces fresh or frozen calamari rings, thawed
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3cup chopped fresh basil, packed
- 2tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1/4cup milk (any kind is fine)
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the calamari and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes (with the juices), basil, and wine, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid reduces slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the milk and flour in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Add the milk mixture to the tomato mixture and simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Combine the sauce with the cooked, drained spaghetti and toss to combine. Serve in individual bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD and Liz Weiss, MS, RD
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 430
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Sodium 410mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 30g