Turkey and Spaghetti Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- 6ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1cup ricotta cheese
- 1pound ground turkey
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/4cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomatoe paste
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cook the spaghetti in a saucepan of boiling water using the package directions. Use pot holders to drain the pasta in a colander. Combine the pasta with the butter, Parmesan cheese and eggs in a bowl and mix well. Shape the spaghetti mixture into a crust in buttered 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Spread ricotta cheese over the spaghetti crust.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and crumble the ground turkey into the skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the turkey is light brown and crumbly, stirring frequently. Stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and garlic salt. Cook until heated through, stirring to mix well. Spoon into the spaghetti crust.
- Use an oven mitt to place the pie plate in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Use the oven mitt to pull out the oven rack. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese over the top of the pie and push the oven rack back with the oven mitt. Bake for 5 minutes longer or until the cheese melts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc.’s In the Kitchen with Kids (Nashville, Tn., 2009).