- Yield 12 to 16 servings
Mozzarella, Parmesan, and cottage cheese mix with browned sausage and spaghetti for a dreamy, Italian casserole
Years ago my minister's wife shared this recipe with me and I have cherished it ever since. Everyone who has tasted this always wants the recipe. Bon Appetit!
- 1 1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 (32-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease one deep 13 x 11-inch casserole dish.
- Brown sausage and onion in a large saucepan. Drain. Add spaghetti sauce and water. Simmer until thick.
- Toss cooked spaghetti with butter, eggs, Parmesan and half of the mozzarella until well mixed.
- Spoon spaghetti and cheese mixture into the greased casserole dish and press down. Cover evenly with a layer of cottage cheese.
- Spoon sauce on top. When smooth, poke holes with a wooden spoon randomly over the entire surface.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until golden and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: For a spicier dish, add a clove of fresh, minced garlic and a tablespoon each of oregano and basil to the sauce.
Beverly Stoops, Barstow, Calif.