Southwestern Vegetable Soup
- Yield servings
This low-fat tomato-based soup is an easy vegetarian favorite.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced peeled carrots
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender over medium heat, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, salsa, oregano, cumin and corn. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are tender. When serving, sprinkle each bowl with green onions and Monterey Jack.