Sweet & Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Southwestern Sugar Glazed Chicken:
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4-- boneless, skinless chick breast halves
- Black Bean And Corn Vinaigrette:
- 1-- (16 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-- (11 oz.) can corn, drained
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground pepper
- Chopped Salad:
- 3cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2-- tomatoes, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For Southwestern sugar glaze, mix together brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Evenly pat sugar mixture on top of each breast and place in a prepared 9 x 13 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degree F. for 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken form oven and let set at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, reserving drippings from pan.
As chicken bakes, make vinaigrette by placing the black beans, corn, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos in a medium mixing bowl and mixing well. In a small bowl whisk together cider vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper; fold into black bean and corn mixture. Set aside in refrigerator.
To serve, place lettuce and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add black bean and corn vinaigrette and toss to combine. Divide salad among 4 plates. Cut each chicken into long, thin strips and place evenly,sugar side up, on top of chopped salads. Drizzle 1 table spoon of reserved brown sugar drippings over each serving of chicken strips and serve.
Makes 4 servings.