Southwestern Shrimp, Corn, and Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield 12 servings
Naturally sweet yams, shrimp, corn and spicy Southwestern seasonings flawlessly come together in this easy (dump and stir) satisfying soup.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups diced peeled Louisiana yams, (sweet potatoes)
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen cron
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10-ounce) can chopped tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled medium shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions
- In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add all ingredients except shrimp; bring mixture to boil.
- Add shrimp, return to boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until shrimp are done, 7-10 minutes. Season to taste. Sprinkle with green onions, when serving. Makes about 12 cups.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.