Southwestern Shrimp, Corn, and Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield 12 servings
Naturally sweet yams, shrimp, corn and spicy Southwestern seasonings flawlessly come together in this easy (dump and stir) satisfying soup.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups diced peeled Louisiana yams, (sweet potatoes)
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen cron
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10-ounce) can chopped tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled medium shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions
- Sauté onion and garlic until tender in a large pot coated with cooking spray. Toss in all ingredients except shrimp and boil mixture.
- Combine with shrimp and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 7-10 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with green onions before serving.