Southwestern Round Steak
- Yield: 6 servings
Don't let the term "butterfly" scare you--just ask your butcher to do it for you. He or she will split the meat in half to fill with stuffing. Flank steak can also be used.
- 3/4cup lemon juice
- 1teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/3cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1 (1 3/4- to 2-pound top round steak, butterflied
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/2cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, liquid smoke and pepper in a bowl; stir well. Place steak in a large heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag. Pour marinade mixture over steak. Seal bag securely and place in the refrigerator to marinate 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade. Open steak and spread spinach in the inside to within 1/2 inch of the edges; top with red pepper and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder; spread chile mixture over pepper and onion layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll steak up jelly-roll fashion, starting at the long side. Place, seam side down, in a baking dish and bake 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into pinwheels.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 239
- Fat 7.9g
- Saturated Fat 3.2g
- Cholesterol 71mg
- Sodium 473mg