Southwestern Rice Salad
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
This is a full-flavored rice salad that is hearty enough to eat on its own, but it also makes an outstanding side dish.
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mild Cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine beans, rice, tomato, bell pepper, cilantro and green onion. Drop jalapeno through the feed tube of a food processor while the machine is running and process until minced. Pour in oil, lime juice and cumin and process until well blended. Toss dressing with bean mixture. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight. Just before serving, toss cheese with salad.