Southwestern Pot Roast
- Yield 8 servings
A pot roast is always delicious, but with a Southwestern flair, you have a new favorite for family meals.
- 4 pounds bottom round roast, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ears fresh or frozen corn, thawed, cut into 4-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place in a large roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes, then turn over and bake another 10 minutes, to brown on both sides. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, beef broth, chili powder and cayenne. Spoon sauce over roast, cover, and continue baking 2 1/2 hours, turning roast every 30 minutes. Add kidney beans and corn and continue cooking 30 minutes longer, or until roast is very tender. Slice roast and serve with beans and corn.