Southwestern Pork Medallions
- Yield 6 servings
This simple dish makes a great dinner when you are short on time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds pork tenderloin or pork loin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 -- hot chiles, diced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- -- Hot cooked rice
- Preheat the grill. Rub the grill rack with paper towel dipped in a small amount of the olive oil. Cut the pork into 2-ounce medallions; pound slightly. Coat the medallions with the chili powder and salt. Place on the grill and grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side; remove and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and chiles. Saute until the onion is tender-crisp. Stir in the tomatoes. Simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Spoon rice onto serving plates. Top with the pork. Adjust the seasonings in the sauce and spoon over and around the pork.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina’s Tested by Fire, Triad Community Kitchen (Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 2011).