Southwestern Vegetarian Lasagna
- Yield 6 servings
Layered with corn tortillas and beans, this "Southwestern"-style casserole is a kids' favorite.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lime
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (12-ounce) can vacuum packed whole kernel corn
- 6 medium corn tortillas, cut in quarters
- 1 (15-ounce) container part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (7-ounce) can whole green chiles, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup (2-ounce) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir onions and garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chili powder and paprika; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in water, tomato paste, honey and lime juice until well mixed. Stir in black beans and corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 of sauce into 1-1/2 quart rectangular baking pan; arrange 1/2 of tortilla quarters evenly over sauce in pan. Spread with 1/2 of ricotta cheese and arrange 1/2 of green chile strips evenly over cheese. Repeat with 1/3 of sauce, remaining tortillas, ricotta cheese and green chilies. Spread remaining sauce evenly over top of lasagna; sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated.